Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dandy Christmas Days

Hope everybody started well into 2010. This  holiday season was a special one for me, as I "skipped" christmas twice the last two years due to my studies in China and it felt good being back with the family.
I managed to put work aside for four days in a row and enjoy the "slow life" consisting of culinary pleasures combined with fine spririts and a couple of good cigars.


I never supported the materialistic side of Christmas and never feel bad for not giving a present to someone. But still, sometimes a well-chosen-gift can show a great amount of thoughtfulness.

In brief: I don't believe in the purchase of materialistic goods as a manner to obtain true happyness but this holiday season came along with a couple of unexpected delights.

Before heading home to our for Christmas' Eve Dec. 24th, we, "La Corona"'s Aficionados, got together for a Holiday-Smoke in Rapperswil. It was supposed to herald a relaxing week full of Sundays.
With a  "Romeo y Julieta Churchill" and a Single Malt Whisky I got an insight on how Winston Churchill enjoyed his quiet minute.



Almost had I forgot about the shoes a friend offered to get from Portugal when went there in November. But he and my shoes arrived back to Rapperswil right in time before the long break and so I was able to welcome a beautiful pair of brown brogue, welt-sewn calf-leather-shoes. It's that kind of shoes that are ridiculously expensive if you buy them on Zürich's Bahnhofstrasse but are more than worth their money if you get them directly from the manufacture. They are supposed to last longer than your average car and are definately an investment, but a beautiful one in terms of smell and touch.


The perfect addition to these shoes came later that evening, when my thoughtful parents handed me over an unexpected Christmas gift: They had decided my watches needed a place to be stored safely and thus found a watch-box for me. It has a big resemblance to a Humidor, and that's also where I'll place it: In my cupboard next to my Habanos. Now I could start working on a watches collection to fill the box accordingly. I'd love to possess more Swiss Watches, as they really are something the whole world knows our country for. Stay tuned to find out what the future and especially 2010 brings.



 The suiting Chinese Character

No comments:

Post a Comment