Friday, October 16, 2009

Naive: Tianzhen



Do you remember the time when you just discovered the mystics of the brown gold for yourself?
The feeling, that there was something big kicked off but you still had no idea of where it would lead you? How you were amazed by the fact that there's so many variations dried tobacco can appear in? All these sizes and shapes of the cigar, the beauty and diversity of the brands and their "anillos"?

The beautiful thing about growing into a passion, is that at the beginning, we still have the time to just observe and be amazed. Because are still very naive, we're not thinking in schemes and dogmas yet.
If someone asked me now: "What does a "Punch"-Anillo looks like?", I'll answer something like "It's reddish/golden and has a crown somewhere and "PUNCH" written on it".
True. That's what it looks like from far away. If I had never seen one before, I'd have answered: "No idea. Gimme one, I'll take a closer look at it."

It was in the bunch of the first maybe 5-6 cigars I ever bought back in 2002 at the age of 18. I had heard that cubans were considered the best of cigars, but at that time still had no idea whether they would suit me. I was lying on my bed with a "Punch Punch" in my hands, thinking "And I just spent 12 Francs for that brown stick, right?".

Then I discovered a "monk" on one side of the cigar ring, embedded in a medal. And the other side showed something like two people working. I was enthralled. I had not just bought some dried leaves with a pleasant smell but also a mini-sized comic-history-book!

I wish I could re-find my foolish naivity from these times a little more often. I thought I had it replaced by knowledge from "Cigar Enthusiasts" and the kilos of Books I've been reading about my favourite subject. But now I know: I'll never learn more about something than by just taking my time to watch it closely and listen to what IT tells me about itself.

And I'm happy enjoying cigars goes far beyond just watching them.

So this post's character is "naive", "tianzhen". It consists of the characters "heaven" and "true, really, pure".

What does chinese culture want to tell us with that constellation? Is naivity the way to go if we want to see "heaven"? Or is the door to heaven human's ability to "naively"(=unbiased) use the senses nature gave us?

No comments:

Post a Comment